Saturday, August 1, 2015

Sewing Lessons for Adult


Are you ready to learn to sew?  I am offering "How to sew a little girl's skirt" or "Sew shorts for children" to interested local friends.  Prices are $25.00 for one-on-one instruction and $20.00 for a bring a friend rate ($20 per person).  Three people would be a comfortable number.  More than three would be less one-on-one instruction.  You need a sewing machine (borrow?).  You will have a short list of preparation and items to purchase.  The class is at your house and you will have a finished product when I leave.  Send a text or email to set up a time.  336-408-5143 or hotshotpolkadot@gmail.com.

I will be offering other classes for boy's items, women's items, house decor, etc.  Stay tuned or make a non-complicated (!) request.   Also, I have a special class for little girls to sew a doll skirt or boy/girl drawstring tote bag.  (7 years and older).  For safety reasons, the children's  class should be one-on-one and a parent should stay during the class.

The "Paper bag" skirt

drawstring skirt
Note:  The shorts are drawstring and no pockets.


Two good beginner machines:


around $60 at Walmart
$60-$70 at Walmart
*Do not buy cheap child's machine.*
I have one and it is very frustrating.  The thread breaks every 10 minutes or so.

I can do a separate lesson on how to use your machine.  Price:  $25.00 per hour.


Preparation:

Skirt:
  1. Measure the child from waistline to preferred length.
  2. Add 4 inches (for hem and casing).
  3. One yard purchase is usually enough for a gathered skirt for a child.
Shorts:

       1. Measure desired length on child
       2. Measure around the hips and add at least 10 inches.  Buy at least one yard of fabric.


Buy:
  1. The fabric
  2. Thread white or matching.
  3. Exact waist measurement--Elastic 3/4 inch width (you can buy "by the yard" or in a pack)
  4. OR long enough to make a bow when tied shoestring for drawstring skirt or shorts
Have on hand or bring:
  1. Sewing machine (borrow from friend?).  Brother machines at Walmart are inexpensive and great quality. 
  2. Fabric, thread, elastic
  3. Scissors  
  4. For shorts-have on hand a pair of shorts that fit really well (I will draft a pattern for you).


No comments :

Post a Comment